PCOD (PolyCystic Ovarian Disease) for Women
is a common problem in women where the hormonal balance is disturbed due to various reasons. This could lead to disturbed periods and weight gain. It has been observed that along with the medical treatment weight loss acts as a perfect cure.
SYMPTOMS OF PCOD
- Facial hair
- Weight gain specially around abdomen
- Stretch marks at underarms/thighs
- Pigmentation of skin at neck and underarms
- Mood swings
- Delayed periods
- Unusual hunger patterns
Thought weight loss sometimes gets difficult in PCOD patients due to an increased insulin level which prevents fat burn. A low GI diet is the answer. A well balanced diet rich in fibre, whole grain, minerals and vitamins, healthy fats …..all planned well so that the diet can be followed for life. With a proper diet the results can be slow but healthy for sure!!
Foods to eat
- Healthy fats like nuts, seeds, cold pressed oils, limited amount of saturated fats like ghee- going on a zero fat diet could make matters worse as all hormones are made up of fats and protein. A deficiency of any could lead to deficiency of hormones.
- Whole grains like brown rice , whole wheat flour. Don’t eliminate carbs from the diet just make the right choices.
- Beans like kidney beans, chickpeas and soybeans. Loaded with good quality protein along with fibre and minerals
- Go green include one liberal serving daily of the seasonal leafy vegetable available
- Vitamin C limes lemons oranges. Help in absorption of all the nutrients and improve digestion.
Foods to avoid
- All sugars sweets, chocolates, fruit juices, aerated drinks. All will spike insulin rise and prevent fat burn
- Refined foods white rice, breads, biscuits ,pastas ,chips.
- High salt intake avoid pickles, chips, papad, namkeen, alloo bhujia, bakery products
- Junk foods too high on salt sugar and fat
- Fried foods specially fried carbohydrates like potato chips
- Excessive milk intake due to the hormones injected in cattle .
In short PCOD is a lifestyle disease and can be kept at bay with a combination of a healthy diet and regular physical exercise. Yoga and meditation in particular has shown great results to cure all types of hormonal disturbances.