What is the Best Dried Fruit to Eat?-Dried fruit is made by drying the water content of the original fruit either naturally through sun or artificial dehydrators. They are popular and costly because they have longer shelf life and are nutritious. They also have been used traditionally for gifting and prasadam and bhog. Some commonly used examples of dried fruits are: raisins, figs, prunes, figs, apricots, dates, peaches and pears.
Nowadays various versions of dried fruits are present like cranberries, cherries, strawberries and mango are saturated with sugar or sucrose syrup before drying. Some dry fruits are used as a candy like pineapple, kiwi and Papaya.
Yes, this is true that dry fruits are full of fats but they are good fats which is required by our body for proper functioning.
BENEFITS OF DRY FRUITS:
SOURCE OF ANTIOXIDANTS: loaded with fiber, minerals and vitamins of fresh fruits. Rich in polyphenols, an anti-oxidant which improves blood circulation, helps in better digestion and lowers the risk of oxidative damage.
LOWER CHOLESTROL: dried fruits are full of good fats which our body needs to improve the good fat levels in our body which is HDL and it helps in reducing the bad cholesterol i.e. LDL
MORE FIBER:smaller portion of dry fruits contains good quantity of fiber that is why they are more filling and provides hunger satisfaction. One-third cup serving of dried fruit contains 2-3 grams of fiber and we feel fuller for a longer time when we consume dry fruits.
Alternative source of Protein: daily protein needs which are found in poultry, non-vegetarian food and eggs are found in nuts. So they are good options for vegetarians to fulfill their protein requirement.
MORE HANDY: they are more portable and can be eaten anytime and anywhere. As they are condensed so they require less space.
PREVENTS MANY DISEASES: as dry fruits are loaded with fiber, potassium and different healthy diet plant compounds have low to medium glycemic index value and low insulin index so they can be consumed by diabetic people also. Different dried fruit has different health benefit like:
- Raisin rich in fiber and potassium controls blood sugar and blood pressure, lowers bad cholesterol and reduce inflammation
- Prunes or dried plums are full of potassium, beta-carotene (vitamin A) and vitamin K. they have natural laxative effects. They improves stool frequency and constipation. Lower down bad cholesterol levels and prevent heart diseases and cancer
- Dates are full of iron and other plant compounds and richest source of oxidants, low in glycemic index and good for pregnant ladies as it facilitate cervical dilation and decrease the need for induced labor.
How to eat your dry fruits?
- They should be fresh as eating stale dry fruits is like eating empty calories.
- Soak them to improve their digestability.
- Eating dry fruits empty stomach prevents acidity.
- During fasting dry fruits help to curb hunger pangs.
- Avoid eating dry fruits along with tea & coffee.
- Avoid eating highly salted, fried or roasted dry fruits & opt for the natural variety.
So one should consume one serving per day for good health and weight loss . Also one should avoid dried fruits with added sugar and always read on package before buying.
So don’t avoid dry fruits.